Day 1- Jo Wicki

My first day at the 3rd Convention of the Parties (COP 3) of the Minamata Convention, was one filled with nervous excitement and anticipation. After months of preparing and familiarizing myself with mercury science and policy, the time had finally come to see environment policy in action. Through the research reports and simulations done in our class periods, I felt as though I was prepared to take on the convention, and I was thoroughly excited about the amazing opportunity that I was soon to experience.

The convention itself, although different than what I initially was expecting, was awe-inspiring. To see the representatives from the various parties, and the observers from the NGOs, IGOs and INCs, on the floor, discussing the very same topics that were discussed and debated on in class, was surreal. After the convention, the parties and all the observers attended a small reception hosted by Switzerland, which allowed for those participating in the convention to discuss matters in a more casual setting, with food and drink. While I was there, I spoke to several observers from Tanzania, Cameroon, Western Africa, the United Nations Environment Program, as well as some of the individuals from the Ghana party.

Sitting with Patricia Sampson (Director of Ministry of Information in Ghana)

As I spoke with them, I realized that there was one underlying theme in most, if not all, my conversations. That theme being that all these individuals, who were acting as a representative for either non-profit NGOs or state governments of themselves, were in reality honorably fighting for the well-being of their constituents. Although there is this misconception that politics and government systems are over-ridden with corrupt individuals, and while this may be true for some national governments, in my own personal experience, all the individuals I spoke with, genuinely wanted to be liaisons for the people of their countries to the global forum, so that they could better help their own communities.

Party representative, Patricia Sampson, Director for the Ministry of Information in Ghana, stated that she herself works on the ground in Accra, Ghana to help translate and implement the policies established on a global scale.

In speaking with these individuals, it was amazing to see the dedication in the way they spoke and the passion in their eyes. The immediate welcoming presence they gave off, made it all the easier to speak with them, allowing for an easy conversation that was regarded with true colleagueship.